Friday, July 27, 2012

Summer Olympics

Being an olympian is a phenomenal accomplishment. It means you are one of the best in the world at your sport. Even if you don't win a medal simply being able to compete in the olympics qualifies you, at least in my eyes, as one of the best in the world. Even if you don't want to go as far as saying they're the best in the world without a medal you've got to admit they're one of the best in their country.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be able to walk into the opening ceremonies. What an adrenaline rush and an honor! Getting to represent your country in front of the thousands of people there and the millions when you include all the television viewers.Getting to be among all the hundreds of other countries as they all come together (though they are competing against each other) for truly world wide games. Is there anything else that brings pretty much all the countries of the world all together?

The thought of it makes me wish I were an olympic athlete. Forget being an actor/actress or singer, if I could be one of those or an olympic athlete there is no doubt I would choose to be an olympic athlete. I'm not really even that in to sports. It's simply the fact of being among all those other countries and representing your country.

As much as I've mentioned getting to represent your country, I like even more that it is the joining of so many countries. I loved watching the parade of nations at the opening ceremonies. I was getting a bit frustrated with the camera men and commentators though. I want to get to see all the countries. There were so many commercial breaks that when they would come back they'd just say while we were gone these countries walked in and then just give a brief look at them. We completely missed Uruguay because they were focusing on the USA. I mean I do understand that I'm in the USA so I should be excited about seeing them march in, but I've already seen these athletes on television, the internet, magazines, etc. The other thing I did not like was the occasional unnecessary mentions of politics. Can we just leave politics out where it is not needed. I believe it was Pakistan but a comment was made, which maybe I misunderstood it, about keeping an eye on that country, as in the actual country- not the olympians as they perform.

Now with all that being said we'll see how much I actually watch of the actual games.

No comments:

Post a Comment