Wednesday, July 18, 2012

SE Asia 2011: The Team



Who were the people making up this team that went to SE Asia?

The team included Jessica, Emily M, Chris, Norman, Ben, and me. 




(What we're doing now, school and work wise has changed but this is what we were doing/who we were at the time of the trip).

Jessica
Jessica just finished her 4th year of Biological Engineering at LSU, graduating in May 2012. I met Jessica at the BCM my freshman year, her sophomore year. We met for the first time when planning to go to Mexico during spring break. Going to Mexico didn't work out. Then we met again when Mandy, the BCM assistant director, told her to talk to me about going somewhere for the summer. We've been friends since that night. That summer, 2009, we both ended up going to SE Asia. Something I love about our friendship is that a large part of our friendship and how we got to know each other was through praying with each other 





Emily M. 

Emily completed her 3rd year at Southeastern Louisiana State University. She is studying to be an elementary school teacher and will graduate in December 2012. Though Emily goes to SELU she works at and attends the LSU BCM. Before the trip we were in a Bible Study together and she started coming to the same church I go to shortly before the trip. Other than planning for the trip we weren't too close. After the trip I would undoubtedly  include her as one of my closest friends. She is such an encouragement. There were times during the trip where there is no way I could have made it without her. 
          


Chris

Chris is a country boy. Hunting, fishing, that's his element.  He's from the Monroe area and worked for a tree service company, cutting down and trimming trees.A few years older than us, he is a friend of Norman's. Before the trip none of us, other than Norman, knew him. We all met him at the one meeting we had all together before the trip. Chris likes to have fun and his smile is contagious. You just can't help but smile around him. He has an amazing testimony about how he turned his life around and is now living for the Lord. His love for the Lord is so evident  in how he lives his life. 



Norman

Norman once described himself as "country as cornbread." Same age as Emily and I, he is studying English at LSU and will graduate May 2012. I met Norman at the BCM. He transferred to LSU his sophomore year of college and got involved in the BCM right away. His passion for the Lord and helping others grow in their relationship with the Lord is evident.Though he can be very blunt with his words there are sometimes when it is needed and helpful. In the spring of 2010 he helped me with a particularly rough patch spiritually which  is something I am incredibly grateful for. 




Ben

Ben is our youngest but just by a year. He is studying business management at LSU and should graduate in spring 2013. Before leaving for SEA Ben was working at one of the summer Fuge camps (Emily was working at one too). What a trooper! I didn't know Ben too well before the trip. I think our first conversation, at the BCM in the missions room, was me trying to convince him to go to SEA, telling him about it and showing him where it is on the map. I think Ben still kind of perplexes me because I have this idea of him a quiet guy that kind of holds back but that's not who he is. He's crazy but not in a bad way, more of a not afraid to be silly, quite the opposite of holding back, but yet it's not an in your face obnoxious sort of way. I don't think I'm doing Ben any kind of justice in describing him (sorry man!), but I am always encouraged after talking to him 



Emily H.
Then there's me, studying communication disorders at LSU, graduating December 2011. In summer 2009 I spent 2 months in SEA. How do I go about talking about myself? Hmm...How about I tell you what other people have said about me. Most often I get that I am sweet and quiet. Ask people who know me and they won't agree with the quiet part. I feel sweet is the fallback that people say when they've met you but haven't really gotten to know you. I've been told I'm consistent and disciplined. I could argue these as well. Finally I've been called sarcastic and funny. One guy once said girls shouldn't be funny but then later that week he said I was funny. I'm still not sure how to feel about that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment