Tuesday, July 10, 2012

SE Asia 2011: The Journey


A year ago today I was on a plane headed to SE Asia (SEA). I was by myself; the rest of the team was already there a couple of days before I was able to join. Flying by myself was truly one of the things I worried about most. 


It wasn't so much that I was afraid of missing flights or getting lost but I was afraid of myself, my own mind. I knew last time I went that pretty much the whole plane ride over to SEA, which is about a good 24ish hours,  my mind was plagued with questioning and doubting, wondering what I was getting myself into. I recognized this on that trip and the second verse of It is Well With my Soul came to me:
"Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come, Let this blest assurance control, That Christ has regarded my helpless estate, And hath shed His own blood for my soul."
Before even stepping foot in the country Satan was already attacking. As the second half of that verse puts it, Christ knows what's going on. I have Christ on my side.

So I had all that on my mind when thinking about the plane ride. Before the trip Chris asked if there was anything he could be praying about for me. I told him my worries about the plane rides. The longest leg of the  flight was about 14 hours. It was the best I have fared on any long flight. There was a moment on the flight when I remembered prayer I asked for for the flight. I realized how calm I was and how well it was all going and had no doubt there were people praying for me.

It wasn't until probably a couple weeks later that I remembered I took some Valerian before getting on the flight. It's an otc relaxer, sleep-aid. It doesn't necessarily help me sleep but it does calm my mind. So that probably also had something to do with my calmness. I, however, choose to believe the prayer did more for me than the medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment