Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Start of Grad School

Grad school has started! My schedule is all kinds of crazy. Okay, maybe it's not that crazy, but no day is the same. Mondays I have 3 hour class, Tuesdays' 2 clinics, Wednesdays' a 3 3 hour class, Thursdays' 2 clinics and a 3 hour class, and Fridays' CES (no clue what it stands for) class 6 times this semester.

So far it has been overwhelming and it's only the beginning, the very beginning. It's been two days, I still haven't been to two classes at all yet, and there is so much information and stuff to do that it's just overload. 

I'm excited though. I love what I'm studying, speech language pathology. I don't know what I ultimately hope to do with it, what I want to focus on, because I'm so excited and want to know/do it all! I guess after experience in clinics with such varieties I'll be able to narrow it down. My two clinics this semester are Preschool and Accent Modification. 

One of my classmates, I just learned, lives in my neighborhood and has lived here her entire life. It's crazy. I can't believe we never met before. We even managed to do our undergrad together and still never met until last week. 

Story time about today. Parking is still craziness so I parked farther than I'll have to the rest of the semester. Once people stop going to class over the next few weeks hopefully it'll get better. I parked and was walking to the preschool. The preschool is on one side of campus and the building I end in is on the opposite side. I parked nearer the building I end in though because when I'm done I want to be able to just leave, not walk all the way across campus to get to my car. So anyway, I got to the Design Building, about a 6 minute walk from where I was parked and realized I forgot my lunch in the car. It wasn't worth going back to get. So for lunch today I had a handful of popcorn and a mystery cookie at the preschool, two chocolate chip cookies and a brownie at the BCM, and a granola bar I had in my backpack. Delicious and nutritious! Well the former, not so much the latter. Story doesn't end there though. I went outside at the BCM and set my alarm on my phone for 1:10 so I would be able to leave and have enough time to walk to where I needed to go and I didn't have to keep constantly checking the time. I hear the bells and look at my phone to see the time because I know the bells ring every 15 minutes. It's 1:15! Oh crap, I got to hurry! I check my alarm and I had it set for 11:10. Oops! Luckily, I made it on time with a few minutes to spare. And my big sister in the COMD program left a chocolate bar in my mailbox! Story time over. 

Originally when my class times got changed I wasn't very happy about it. Now,except for the Thursday 4:30-7:30 class, I think I actually like the changes. My plan is to use the time on Mondays and Wednesdays before class as designated study time. And on Tuesdays and Thursdays I have a 1 hour break between clinics. This schedule also gives me chances to for sure have a devotional time everyday because face it my plan to do that every night before bed never lasts more than a few days. I'm thinking M and W before studying in the Design courtyard or whatever it's called, and T and Th the Greek amphitheater during lunch. I'd never been in the Design building (except for once with Kallie to get food) or courtyard until we did our orientation in the auditorium. It's a nice little place. So,I'm pretty excited about this plan! I just need to work on discipline to make sure it happens. I don't think that word, discipline, is really in my vocabulary though. 

This is unrelated to grad school but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. Today a friend retweeted a tweet from Skeptical Africa. I thought it was kinda funny and retweeted it too. It was "So you're telling me...they have to stamp a date on your food so you dont forget to eat it before it goes bad?" Then I was reading more of them and yes some of them are silly but then I read this one, " So you're telling me while I live in a house made of mud you have small houses for your cars called garages??" and I felt a little convicted. And I don't even have a garage. I mean I've seen the small houses in other countries; I've stayed in those small houses. Then there I was today touring the preschool, which is located in an old house, thinking about how much I love old houses and how I love how big the bedrooms were. I do really love old houses! 

Oh my,  Let me end this before I ramble on more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment