Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I Choose You

For Lent I gave up coca cola. No, I'm not Catholic, or of any denomination that gives something up for Lent, nor did I use the sacrifice as a way to grow closer to God. I gave up coke just to see if I could do it. No coke for 40 days. So I may not have  had a real reason for doing so but I did learn something through the experience.

There were multiple times when I really wanted a coke. I'd be fixing lunch, open the icebox, and there they were. And oh how I craved one! There was nothing stopping me. The temptation was there. How easy it would of been to just give in! But I didn't. I chose something else.

Why can't I be like that when it comes to sin? So many times when faced with temptation I give in to those sinful desires. Like a dog returning to its vomit, I go back time and time again to something that is no good for me. As Dr. Goza said on Sunday, "No temptation is greater than God." Instead of choosing sin I need to say "I choose You, Lord. I choose you."

No comments:

Post a Comment