Monday, March 18, 2013

Jesus Walks on Water

I was a bit of a skeptic (hey, kind of like Peter!) when we told about the MasterLife Bible Study we were going to be doing this semester through the BCM. It did not grab my interest and I did not expect to get much from it. I contemplated not participating in it, but I did, and how glad I am I did! Though I do struggle to keep up with it I glean something from doing it each week.

A couple of weeks ago the passage reading was Matthew 14:22-36. I opened my Bible to it saw the heading "Jesus Walks on Water." I thought to myself, "this passage. I've read it before, many times. I know how it goes. I even know the point that some people take from it about Jesus going off by himself to pray." I did not want to read it again, there was nothing more to gain from it, so I didn't.  I closed my Bible and went to bed.

The next day, as I opened my book to do the next day of the Bible study, I saw the empty page from the previous day. I told myself, whether I wanted to or not, I needed to read the passage and finish that day before going on. Before I read the passage I prayed. I prayed that I would stop being such a cynic and that the Lord would give me a deeper understanding of the passage or reveal something new to me from it.


Well, the Lord answers prayers. I read the passage and the Lord hit me with some truth. In the MasterLife Bible study when you read a passage you are supposed to answer "What God said to me:" and "What I said to God:" Here are my responses.

What God said to me:
Peter was willing to ask, to question. If you're willing to do that (to ask such questions/make such statements to the Lord) then you better be willing to hear the answers and trust the Lord, even if it is scary. Peter was willing to make the demand to the Lord, v.28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water." Then he got fearful and doubted and begun to sink. If you're going to have that boldness, you need to have just as much trust in the Lord.

What I said to God:
What am I supposed to be doing with life, preparing for the future, career? Where do you want me to go? What do you want me to do? Soften my heart to the plans You have for me.

Before I moved on to the next day in the Bible study, I looked back to see what that previous day was titled and it was "Praying for What God Wants." How appropriate!

The takeaway from all this? If you ask the Lord something, expect an answer, and be willing to trust Him and the answer He gives you.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8 

No comments:

Post a Comment