Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Glad or depressed?

Sometimes I struggle with should I be glad or depressed. The obvious answer would seem to be glad but allow me a moment to explain the dilemma.

I am glad. Glad that I know my Savior. I am saved through faith in Jesus Christ. I know that one day I will spend eternity with my Savior in Heaven. For this I should be overjoyed. Knowing whatever happens to me in this world I have an eternity with Christ to look forward. Not to mention the time I do have here on earth to spend in prayer, in the Word, in worship.

Here's where the depression comes in. This isn't something I feel all the time, though maybe I should. Maybe the reason that I'm not in a constant state of depression at all times is because I don't find myself aware of the cause of this sadness except in certain situations and times. So let me get to what it is I feel I should be depressed about. I should be depressed because I realize how many lost people there are in this world. People who are damned to spend an eternity in hell. When I think about these people it's a lot easier (not that is is really easy or makes it any better by any means) to think that these people are the people of foreign countries who have turned their backs to God. People who bow down to idols, who worship more "gods" than they can count, who leave sacrifices to a god who doesn't exist. Typing that, and thinking now about it, has brought tears to my eyes. But they are not the only people who will be damned to hell. What about the people who never heard the Gospel? The people who know not a thing about who Jesus is? They are not excused. That is reality that hurts. That is why we must go to them. What hurts even more is what about our neighbors? Our best friends? Family? We don't want to think of such a fate for them yet we do not share Christ with them. It's like we overlook the fact that these people we care about most are on the road to dying without knowing Christ.

I'm sure there probably should be some sort of appropriate balance for these emotions. Well, really I'm not sure. Nor do I know what that balance is, if there is indeed one.

No comments:

Post a Comment