Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Is Christ divided?

1 Corinthians 1:10-17
10 I appeal to you, brothers and sisters,in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don'’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.


I'd been having a lull in my quiet time. Then when I picked it back up again I was like where do I want to start, what do I want to read? I started with 1 Corinthians. I've probably never read through the whole book before. It really is a shame when I think about it and realize how many books of the Bible there are that I may know bits from but have at no point read anything other than those few bits.

So I begin reading 1 Corinthians and man does God bring it! I'm not even through the first chapter and I'm just like whoa! This is in the Bible?! Why have I never read this before? Not only am I reading it for likely my first time but I can see how it relates to here and now. I was just astounded. God, you're awesome!

It goes back to the theology rant I had. What is more important Calvinism, Arminianism, etc, or Christ? In those verses, specifically 12 and 13 we can substitute a few names and there we have it. " 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Calvanism”; another, “I follow Arminianism”; another, “I follow Reformed ”; still another, “I follow Christ.”13 Is Christ divided? Was Piper crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Chan?"

There is also more on divisions in the church in 1 Corinthians 3.


And also might I mention that I love in verse 17 that Paul says, "I don't remember." That's just like a reminder that he's human. He forgets too.

No comments:

Post a Comment