Sunday, April 25, 2010

Come Now Is The Time To Worship

This morning in church, during the welcome, an older lady in front of me said to an older lady next to me (words may not be exact but the message is not altered), "He's wearing blue jeans to church. I'm sure he had other selections to wear." She was a worker with an assisted living home that came to church so I thought maybe she's talking about one of the men with them. Nope, the two men with them are in khakis. I look around. Andrew is two down from me in the pew, maybe she's talking about him, but I don't really think she can see him. I follow her gaze. Matt, he had just done the whole welcome gig. She says something about you can see him on the pew and something about a younger generation. The lady next to me said, "At least he's here. That's what matters." Amen, lady next to me. I found it so appropriate that the next song we sang was Come Now Is The Time To Worship.

Come, now is the time to worship.
Come, now is the time to give your heart.
Come, just as you are, to worship
Come, just as you are, before your God.
Come.

One day every tongue will confess You are God.
One day every knee will bow.
Still the greatest treasure remains for those
Who gladly choose you now.

What people are wearing, is this what church has come to? God isn't going to turn you away because of what you're wearing. Really, is this what churches are becoming? It's not just clothing either. I know people who get mad when someone else is in "their seat." Can you not worship God, the whole reason for going to church, from another spot. Do you not think He will hear you? He will. Churches are becoming to much about physical and material stuff. Loosing the reason and meaning for going.

Somewhat related (earlier in my mind it tied in a lot smoother) Healing Place just completed a huge new arena. I get it if you are out of room to fit everybody then there is a need for a larger facility. What I don't get is the book store. The coffee shop. I'm not trying to put down Healing Place or there ministries. I am in no position to speak of those. I'm really in no position to speak on there new facility either, I have never been there. Are those necessary though. Why not use the money spent on those parts of the new building to send out missionaries or to expand the arena even bigger for even more future growth. I feel like the church is turning into a market place and can't help but think of Jesus destroying the temple in John 2. I recognize the difference in the market place in the temple beck then and what HPC is doing but nonetheless the church is becoming a market. People may be losing sight of the reason for the church, Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment