Monday, July 12, 2010

Africa- Louisvaleweg: Youth

We had two youth meetings with the youth in Louisvaleweg. At the first meeting there were about 9 youth and their leader Howard. We were told the youth in this group were all saved. We had some discussions with the youth, I don't recall what exactly. I think at some point in the discussion it was actually asked if they were all saved and they all answered yes. Since there were 9 of us and 9 youth (although I think a youth might of left so it was 9 with Howard, not really the relevant oart though) we each got together individually with a youth. I don't recall the girl's name who I was talking with. I asked if she had any questions or struggles. She said no. She really didn't seem like she wanted to be there. She did finally say she wanted to know about God. Well, that's a pretty big topic. I asked if there was anything more specific she wanted to know? No, she just wanted to know about God. So I'm not sure what to say or where to begin. I start with some stuff about the Trinity and tell her it's hard to understand even for strong Christians. Then I start with the Matt Chandler podcast on Colossians, specifically Colossians 2:15, "He is the image of the invisible God, the first born over all creation." He, Jesus, is the image of God. You want to know who God is look at Jesus. So I start telling her what I can remember from the podcast. None of that is what she wanted to know. I finally get out of her that she wants to know God more personally. So I tell her to know God more personally you have to spend time with Him. Pray. Read His Word. I tried but overall I don't think I did a very good job. Morgan comes back inside with the girl she was talking to and says the girl gave her life to Christ. The girl was baptized a few weeks ago. Morgan told us she was talking with the girl and she said she didn't know who Jesus was. The whole group is confused and in need of guidance. Many of them, and not only the youth but many people in Upington, believe they have to pray and ask God to save them each day. They don't understand that once you accept Christ you are saved. You don't have to ask to be saved again everyday. Some of the team described Louisvaleweg as feeling like it had a darkness in it. Not just the fact there was only one light in the building but an unnatural darkness. There is evil in Louisvaleweg trying to suppress the Lord. Louisvaleweg desperately needs our prayers.

The girl I got to talk with and pray for.

we had a second meeting at Louisvaleweg the next week. We started out this meeting by playing some games to show the youth that you can have fun at youth meetings. It doesn't have to be all sitting and talking. We played I never. In I Never someone stand in the middle of a circle and says something they've never done, or never been, etc. . Then everyone who has or is gets up and runs to find a new chair in the circle. Well, a girl is standing in the middle and says, "I've never been a boy." So all the boys have to get up and run and find a new seat. Somehow a girl (not the one who was originally in the middle) ends up in the middle. I think something got a little lost in translation on that one. I was really distracted at the meeting. I'm not sure why and not I can't even remember what was on my mind. During the meeting we had a discussion on the Lord's supper and baptism. I don't really remember to much from the meeting because I was so distracted. At one of the meetings, I actually think it might of been at the first meeting with them, John taught them how to share their testimony using the three parts: life before Christ, how you came to know Christ, and your life since you accepted Christ and what He's doing in you now.

Us with the youth after the first meeting (Eddy's photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment